Freedonia is the name of the world hosted on the MinecraftOnline.com server.
What makes it special
This world has multiple distinguishing characteristics which mark it out from the majority of online worlds:
- Freedonia was created within an hour of Notch releasing the Minecraft survival multiplayer server for public use, and has persisted since. It is thus believed to be the oldest online public world of any Minecraft server.
- Freedonia is rather large - 12GB at the time of writing, spanning a diameter of approximately 36km (36,000 in-game blocks).
- The nether and end are 230MB and 223MB big, respectively.
- Freedonia has been visited by over 80000 unique players as of 2017.
Browsing the map is an excellent way to get to know Freedonia - many megaprojects are clearly visible due to their scale, and it is possible to get a good understanding of the overall geographical layout and road connections throughout the world by exploring the map.
Warps are also shown on the map as orange markers, and can be listed with the /listwarps command. Each warp is a famous place of some note, and is worth seeing as part of getting to know Freedonia. Each warp can be teleported to with the /warp command.
Project Anubis is currently under construction. When complete, it will replace warps as the primary method of long-distance travel in Freedonia. See the project's page for details of layout and use.
The Freedonia Railway System has service across large areas of the map. Several server attractions and settlements have direct rail service from spawn.
A growing number of destinations are also accessible from the water. Following the marked Boat Routes is a great way to get to know the world and a good starting point for your own exploration.
This wiki is a repository for information about notable buildings, locations and organisations in Freedonia. The following categories are worth exploring:
All players are invited to contribute details of their own constructions to the wiki!
For a comprehensive history of major events in Freedonia, see the Timeline page.
- Freedonia was generated by admin runechan, who was the first to enter it, and gave the created world her seal of approval.
- Because the world was generated shortly after the release of SMP and large areas were explored in the early days, there are some things missing in the older parts of the map. For example there are no natural lapis lazuli ores, villages, witch huts, or emeralds near any of the older warps, because they were not yet implemented at the time of creation. (There is a village at spawn but that was created by a player)
- Due to the popularity of Freedonia, MinecraftOnline has inspired several Clone Servers throughout its history.