MinecraftOnline features a "live", scrollable and zoomable autogenerated map of Freedonia using the Leaflet API.
The base software is Brownan's MinecraftOverviewer, the direct-to-tiles c-render branch based on Agrif's code, with some server-specific modifications and helper scripts by SlowRiot, the map markers script later rewritten by Microcosms.
- Textured from the official texture pack, zoomable to "actual size" where the full details of individual blocks can be discerned
- Toggleable markers overlaid on the map:
- Toggleable geometry overlays:
- Extent of previous overworld borders.
- Nexus direction sectors (requires a zoomed-out view).
- FRS railway lines.
- Leaves and grass are shaded according to biomes
- Accurate shadows and lighting
- Switchable between day and night mode
Players often ask what the frequency of the updates to the "live" map are. There is not an exact reliable schedule. According to chat-rumors in late 2021, the update frequency used to be about twice per day.
- We have chosen not to use the MapMarkers plugin which would show player locations in realtime - although it would be possible on this map, it was felt that it would pose an excessive risk to player privacy.
- The map is composed of 124,614 PNG tiles on 11 levels, at the time of writing.
- The map display data occupies 43GB at the time of writing.
- If the map were to be printed at maximum zoom, at screen resolution (72dpi), its horizontal width would be approximately 138 metres (453ft) - the equivalent of 317 widescreen 19" monitors side by side!
- The biome display actually requires the server to run a modified minecraft client just to extract the minecraft data from the map, as this information is procedurally generated in the client and not actually stored anywhere in the map data itself.
- The center of the live map is at x=199 y=64 z=-184 but also can be gotten using x=7 y=256 z=8. See Convert Map Coordinates for more info.