Obernai, home of the Knights of Obernai
|Contributors||mk59apr, alspal, thesprazzler, Ledoyom, IvanLeshev|
|Size north to south||500m|
|Size west to east||300m|
|Road link?||Via nether highway|
|Rail link?||Yes (Great Northern Line, /st Obernai)|
Foundation of Obernai
Located in the freezing north of Freedonia, the town of Obernai has its nascency in the late days of the year 2016. Then, LewisD95 started building a watchtower and floating island in the north east of the peninsula of the North-Eastern Iceplanes. The idea for this build has come from a dispute between LewisD95 and NickolasDiamond, who built some kind of interesting building on a close-by island. The watchtower was in those days only accessible for players who had donated for the powers of 'ascending' and 'descending', since there were no other options to climb up this tower. After a few days of spying in the freezing cold, LewisD95 decided to build some basic buildings, such as a bar and a large first house, to make the stay bearable. Since the dispute later escalated, LewisD95 saw it was needed to fortify the area against the attacks from NickolasDiamond. The remains of this wall still mark the borders of the inner town today.
Builds of Obernai
When the dispute between both players was resolved, LewisD95 decided to not abandon the town, but to further develop the region. After some landscaping around the bay, he built another tower, which was fully accessible for everyone who can get into the defence part of the town. This tower remained unfinished for a long time, and has later been demolished and redesigned. Instead of finishing the work he started, LewisD95 continued by building at the inner part of the town, in a style as often used in the French-German Elzas region. To make the town visitable for other players, LewisD95 started building the infrastructure for a Nexus connection. Players using this Nexus entry get the following message.
Welcome to Obernai, don't freeze your tits off!
Even though people are warned to bring warm clothes, one of the first things you feel when entering Obernai, is a tit freezing off.
Obernai features some interesting builds, such as the large barn of mk59apr, a large red and white lighthouse, some big ships, a great and a smaller church (cathedral is under construction), a city keep with museum and dungeon, a frozen harbour and plenty of other builds. It is most definitely worth a stroll around the steeper but cosy streets of town.
Other player's builds
Since this town will not completely be built by LewisD95 himself, other players can ask or can be asked to build here too. At this moment, LewisD95 gave permissions to thesprazzler, treepuncher755, Cree_dance, Freeman77 and alspal to build a house in the same style as the main builds. On January 5th, Freeman77 got his house from LewisD95. On July 21st, 2018, Belgiums National Holiday, mk59apr started building his barn, to provide shelter for a few animal farms. Ledoyom is at this moment building some public builds, as well are they furnishing some of the builds LewisD95 didn't finish because of his laziness.
The town features a wool shop, maintained by Ledoyom, and can be easily found near the Transport Hub. ('Not available at the moment')
This is a small settlement, therefor, not many services are provided. A small farm should provide builders and inhabitants of steak and other delicacies. Currently, there are no other active farms on Obernai's grounds. The train station has been rebuilt in 2019, on much smaller scale as before, to fit in better (on non-lag conditions, from spawn, this takes around 50 minutes). The subway can be used but is not yet completed, and it's possible you get stuck in one of the tunnels. Caution is advised. In 2021, Obernai Central Station III was designed, to meet the needs of the future of the city. When you come to Obernai, we like to invite you via the Nexus System. Another option is to come by boat (make sure you come in the right season, since the sea freezes over quite often), or by foot. For the latter, you can enter through the north wall (currently unavailable, please use the FRS-footpath), via the path provided by 44trent3, or via the east wall, where a new gate is built, as part of the new city plans (currently unavailable, please use the FRS-footpath).
Of course, the same rules as the world rules for Freedonia apply. We prefer not to steal from other peoples chests within the border of the town, nor do we appreciate pvp in the town. If you want to build in the town, please ask LewisD95 if there is no other project planned on the soil you want to fill with your own build! (Have a look at the map in Media, and chose your plot, before contacting)
From September 2018, some Building Regulations will be set in place.
Building Regulations (starting from September 2018)
- Builds should fit the theme (spruce (or sand, only by city staff), white/grey wool or other white blocks (except for quartz), glass, cobblestone, stone slabs and stonebrick),
- Builds shouldn't be higher than 8 blocks above ground level with a maximum of 12 blocks for roofs (except for city staff),
- Builds should have interesting fronts, so no flat fronts
- Builds should remain within the borders as set by city staff, a 2 block overhang over streets is accepted, as long as this doesn't result in addition grief
- Ground taken by the build shouldn't exceed 25 blocks
- Roofs shouldn't have a straight 1:1 slope, make them interesting
- Please take your time to furnish your house, and place a sign inside with your name and building date
- Always ask city staff ( LewisD95 or Ledoyom) for permission and a plot
- Provide an example of your skills somewhere else, so we can have a look. Take into account that we have several applications of builders for town. If you don't get chosen, please improve your building skills in this particular theme.
- Grief, theft or harassment will not be accepted in this town. This will cause a lifetime ban for building in this city. Even when you are banned and appeal for server staff, this limitation will hold: no second chances here.
- Be prepared to change your build upon request of city staff.
Note: Builds from before September 2018 are not influenced by this regulation.
Note: Builds that do not meet the regulations, will be removed, when the builder does not want to do what city staff asks.
Knights of Obernai
Currently not recruiting
- 1. Grand Knight- Leads the Knights
- A knight who has gained the responsability of finding new worthy knights to be trialed.
- 2. Knight - Leads the Knight Companions
- A well respected knight who has contributed highly to Obernai
- 3. Knight Companion- Leads the Knights in trial
- May help a Knight in trial gather materials
- 4. Knight in trial
- Only a Grand knight may invite a Knight in trial to join.
- 5. Guests
- Players with limited permissions in Obernai
- Grand Knights
- Knight Companion
- Knight in trial
- mk59apr - tba
The knights are tasked with growing the town of Obernai and contributing to the expanding resources of the town. It is the purpose of Obernai Knights to be respected protectors of Freedonia and builders of quality design that attract friends from far and wide.
- If a player has already built a house within Obernai before the Order of Obernai they may ask to join the knights companions if they so desire to continue to expand the town of Obernai
*To expand Obernai and find new knights to be trialed while always looking out to protect Freedonia from griefers
*To expand Obernai showing leadership skills helping the Companions
*To complete a fully furnished house/tower/ship that fits the theme of Obernai
Knight in trial
*To present their own house away from Obernai to show their build capability *Are the only ones held within a time-frame of joining the knights (4 months)
Plans for the City
- The cable stayed bridges for the local railways will be replaced by a more suiting bow bridge in blocks of the theme WIP,
- Metro system will be expanded and checked and made public Final Stage - Ticketing systems to be added - 3 lines available,
- Local railways will be finished Project on hold in favour of subway system,
- Demolition of the private garden at the small pont to make room for more small builds Finished,
- Demolition of the old railway towards Westport Bridge Replaced,
- Finishing of the city walls City Walls: final stage - County Walls: WIP,
- Finishing of several unroofed buildings WIP,
- Finishing of the Hill Mansion Finished,
- Red Light District on East-end WIP,
- Shops in the town On Hold,
- More lights, smaller streets and a lot of new small buildings WIP,
- Wool to delimit new building plots (too much large buildings: we need to go smaller with more underground rooms) Finished.
- Start of maximal building height (roof needs to start at 8 blocks above ground, and shouldn't be higher than 12 blocks above ground) Finished - see building regulations.
- Obernai Nether Hub to be redone (totally) Finished
- Expansion towards the South (See Media) WIP
View on the beacon of Obernai.
View on the frozen water of the bay of Obernai. The weird tower in the background will be replaced or removed (yet to decide).
First days of Obernai.
Obernai in the snow.
North part of Obernai.
Another view on the northern part of Obernai.
Map view of Obernai on August 1, 2018.
Map of Obernai on August 23, 2018, with designated areas shown.
View on the Church of Obernai.
View on the latest district of Obernai: Neudorf West (December 16, 2018).
Obernai at night during Christmas 2019.