|Contributors||Krenath krisstewart ModernMyth7 Shintyx Mathew9R runechan higgins74 Angelus_Wolffe Hodg1 AgentMuu Quizlibet|
|Started||9 April 2011|
|Completed||26 April 2011|
|Size north to south||60m|
|Size west to east||60m|
Project Angel is a long-term megaproject aiming to duplicate the Stanford Angel in Minecraft.
It is a statue based on a 3D scan of the Stanford Angel, the model data of which is available online for free to the public.
In order to accomodate maximum detail, the statue runs from the very lowest bedrock layer to the sky height, spanning 127 blocks in total.
Making the project considerably easier is an existing lego plan of the angel model. The lego plan is a layer-by-layer diagram, charting the statue as 143 layers high. In order to fit into the minecraft height limit, it was chosen to start at layer 16.
The blueprints are available in PDF format at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordAngel/lucybig.pdf (a mirror is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?1n6xllatqn0l2vr).
It was chosen to construct this statue out of white wool for optimal visual impact.
All the wool for this project was harvested naturally, using nearby sheep farms and donations from contributing players. In order to save wool, the interior blocks are constructed from dirt instead.
A decision was made to create an observation room inside the torch held up by the angel. It was chosen to make the upheld arm of the statue hollow, in order to provide ladder access up into this room without altering the external appearance of the statue. No firm decision has been made at the time of writing regarding the possibility of putting the space inside the statue to use.
Project Angel is located overlooking the Central Nexus of Project Anubis.
Due to the sensitive nature of the project, and the precision required to build it accurately, during construction its location was undisclosed except to a short list of contributors.
- 9 April 2011 - Project started. Initial pit excavated and base outline sketched, starting at layer 16.
- 10 April 2011 - Layer 17 completed.
- 18 April 2011 - Layer 50 reached.
- 20 April 2011 - Wingtips on both wings completed, general torso mapped out.
- 21 April 2011 - Torch and arm completed, viewing platform built in to torch.
- 23 April 2011 - Layer 100 reached.
- 24 April 2011 - Setback caused by error-carried-forward, a minor mistake in a lower layer manifesting as a large offset several layers higher. Partial amputation and reconstruction of entire Northern wing required.
- 25 April 2011 - Head completed, Northern wing reconstructed.
- 26 April 2011 - Project Angel is completed.
World hole bug revealing the insides of the Angel Statue