Rome was not built in one day - Richard Taverner
"Megaproject" is a colloquial term for any construction project, usually buildings, the scale of which is considerably beyond the norm of player constructions. Megaprojects may be referred to as such for their sheer size, or the complexity, planning and difficulty involved in constructing them, or the challenge of obtaining rare materials for their construction. All megaprojects share one trait in common - they take a very long time to build, and may require contribution by many individuals.
What counts as a megaproject is highly subjective. Some buildings that may have been considered megaprojects earlier on in Freedonia's history (such as Pyramid)) may now seem run-of-the-mill, as construction techniques improve, and large-scale collaboration becomes easier to organise.
The below list is by no means intended to be exhaustive or complete. Contributors are encouraged to expand it as appropriate.
- Maze - modeled after the garden maze in The Shining, contains prizes in the centre.
- DrumCity - massive, walled off village-style city.
- UnderWorld - The best hole in the ground on the server.
- Menger Sponge - A fractal of planetary proportions.
- Giant Guitar - Exactly what it says on the tin. It's a giant guitar.
- Isle of Muu - series of expressive statues of Freedonia's admins
- Passive's Pyramid - A huge pyramid just outside spawn built over many years by PassiveFriendly
- Schloss Katzenstein
- Project Angel - A minecraft recreation of a lego model of the Stanford Angel, reaches from bedrock to sky limit.
- Project Anubis - A system of teleportation hubs, previously put on hold due to bugs, and augmented by the Freedonia Railway.
- Freedonia Railway System - A sprawling network of railways connecting major server landmarks. More "survivally."
- The Andromeda Ascendant
- The Iron Reef - A large collection of farms and generators
- XT No.1246
- NHS - The Nether Highway System is a railway making use of the 1:8 nether size compared to the overworld, connecting locations all over Freedonia.
- Project_MOON A massive settlement that includes an underground and above ground section led by only two people.
Planned or In-progress Megaprojects
- Rubik's Cube
- Prizreni - Moving to be MCO's largest congregation of pixel art
- Legacy Project - 5th level Menger Sponge
- Okina Hashi - A gigantic bridge attempting to link Newlands and Kurai Cho
- Peak Place - A large silo-shaped complex, with mines, housing, and markets. Only the glass dome will be visible from the surface.
- The Icosahedron - A giant icosahedron.
- The Spelunking Unkle Night Klub - A large, maze-like, almost entirely interior-based public establishment housing a wide variety of attractions and meeting spaces. Built inside a mountain at Spawn, with entrances on either side.
- United States Capitol Building