Freedonia Railway System
|Freedonia Railway System|
Grand Freedonia Railway Station
|Contributors||chivalrousWeasel, Krenath, Blobehh, Jmancino2, Lothendal, healthyuncle, AJStratton, SlowRiot, thesprazzler, theschlozmeister, 14mRh4X0r, gricer1326, Alkarius_Endgame, LewisD95 and Many More!|
|Completed||Constantly being expanded|
|Size north to south||36072m|
|Size west to east||26793m|
"I'll try to look excited." - lacrosse1991
The Freedonia Rail System is a collection of rail lines intended to provide reliable, standardized, and easy to use rail transportation service across the far reaches of the map.
Centered at the Grand Freedonia Railway Station overlooking Spawn, the Freedonia Railway System is a minecart rail transportation alternative to Warps and Project Anubis Nexus Transporters. The system was constructed from a combination of Craftbook magic and in-game redstone powered rail mechanics. Players purchase tickets for a nominal fee (5 cobble at the time of writing), select a station or stop from along one of four main rail lines, then board a self-launching minecart and are powered along their way. Carts will leave the main line towards the desired station automatically, so players can relax and enjoy the scenery.
Warning to Users
Since the Freedonia Railway System extends over the whole server map, it cannot be guarenteed that you will be entirely safe upon your travels. We all know that griefers are hunted down, but this does not take away the risk of the Railways being griefed. When this grief is not fixed, it is possible that the traveller falls down a few tens of blocks, towards a certain death. Due to inconsistencies in systems used for switches and stations, it is also possible that the traveller gets stuck at certain points. Notice that you can leave a grief report (/greport), after which you can go /home again. In all cases, it is forbidden to edit the system, without written permission of the owner of the part or staff members. Some lines and critical infrastructure are no longer maintained, which means it is not always possible to go to and fro certain locations. In that case, it is adviced to let staff know, so connections could be fixed.
If, upon your travels across Freedonian land, you find missing blocks or problematic situations, please do not hesitate to contact the staff team, so inconsistencies can finally be fixed.
The FRS stands proud as the most Multiplayer Survival compatible transportation alternative. Powered primarily by in-game mechanics, the main lines were originally built completely by hand with self-harvested material. The four main lines serve not only as transportation along the four cardinal directions, but also as targets for other player built rail lines for connection/transfer. This will make easy to follow transportation to many smaller and/or remote player communities and homes a much more attainable goal. Any player with enough ambition, resources, time and redstone know-how can connect their personal line(s) to one fo the main lines and have front door rail service from Spawn.
The FRS main lines are composed of several parts:
- Hub Stations
- Spur Stations
- Tons and tons of Rails
Hub Stations, such as the Grand Freedonia Railway Station, are the heart of the system. They have multiple inbound and outbound lines, station/stop information, full ticket service, and cart dispensing, collecting and launching facilites. Main lines all begin and end in a Hub Station, which often lends its name to the adjoining rail line. All rail lines connected to a Hub Station are required to conform to a strict standardized layout to ensure compatability.
Spur Stations are similar to Hub Stations, but are optional lines that depart from the main lines. Spur stations only have service to and from the main line they are attached to. Spur Stations will have essential services like ticket dispensing, cart launching and basic station/stop directions. They may or may not have cart collection and dispensing. All rail lines connected to a Spur Station are required to conform to a loose set of minimal standards to qualify for connection to the main lines.
Branches are simple rail lines departing from the main or spur lines. These optional lines may or may not have any return service or ticket/cart services. They may even end suddenly or be unmaintained. Use at your own risk. All Branches connected to main lines must have at least return service and return ticket service. Owners/Managers of Spur Stations and lines may set their own criteria for connection.
Stops are simply that: stops. Your railcart will either move onto a short branch or simply stop moving and eject you. Stops along main lines will all have return ticket and cart launching services, but those along Spur or Branch lines are really a crapshoot. They are primarily a way to get you off the rails to follow a road or enter a nearby building. All stops are optional.
Tons and tons of Rails
As players speed along the rail line, they will be treated to a variety of stunning scenery and vistas unavailable in any other fashion. While substantially more time-consuming than Warps, they are far more organic to the Minecraft world, and allow more democratic and open access to rapid transportation.
Great Northern Line
The Great Northern Line goes West. This is because when the line was created the direction this line went in was North, until one minecraft update changed which direction north was. So now it goes West. This railway line uses white wool. You can take this line from the spawn station by holding sugar.
Here is a list of all GN Line stations accessible from Spawn in order of their branch appearance:
|Grand Freedonia Railway Station (Spawn)||/st Spawn||0||-190; 358|
|-||317||-363; 225||Station was removed|
|Drum City||/st DrumCity||1907||-360; 1098|
|Underworld||/st Underworld||988||-829; 650||Arrivals only|
|Stone Burrow||/st StoneBurrow||1358||-1197; 652||Station wasn't constructed, only rail switch was made|
|Central Nexus||/st CentralNexus||2968||-1816; 1643||Dead end, station wasn't constructed|
|Casa de Austria||/st CasaAustria||3035||-1927; -183||Change here for local railways|
|Artville||/st ArtVille||3761||-2697; 1503|
|Shoretown||/st Shoretown||3176||-2912; 679|
|Melonopolis||/st Melonopolis||4213||-3343; 1243|
|Logdon||/st Logdon||3865||-3690; 638|
|Diamond Mall||/st DiamondMall||4891||-3813; 1569|
|Joppa||/st JoppaLine||4444||-4017; 884|
|Sky City||/st SkyCity||4701||-4321; 823|
|Forbidden Outpost||/st ForbiddenOutpost||4642||-4453; 680||Change here for local railways to New Venice, Port Dome, North Nexus, Greenville and North West Nexus|
|Craftbook Museum||/st CbookMuseum||5236||-4509; 140|
|Amp City||/st AmpCity||5987||-4500; -620||Dead end, station wasn't constructed|
|Dragon's Hold||/st DragonsHold||7529||-5358; -1272|
|Quarryton||/st Quarryton||8515||-7097; -529|
|Nexus North-West 1||/st NexusNW1||9253||-7125; -1261||Change here for railway to Nexus North-West 2|
|Floatania||/st Floatania||10239||-8548; -824|
|Rasuka||/st Rasuka||11720||-8620; -1929||Change here for local railway to Palacio del Orb|
|CoffeeTowne||/st CoffeeTowne||14554||-12010; -597|
|Western Border||/st OldWestBorder||17471||-15180; 0||Connection with Nether Highway System|
|Deckland||/st Deckland||13131||-8808; -3456|
|/st Strasbourg||15249||-9645; -4531||Change here for Obernai metro|
|Obernai||/st Obernai||15573||-9748; -4958||Change here for local metro and railway to Feudlandia, Shireford, EastCliff, North-West Nexus 2, and other to North-West Hub and skybirdthing's lines.|
Lava Town Line
The Lavatown line is the oldest mass transit railway line. It goes towards the east side of the Map. Like many other Lavatown related builds, this line uses the colour orange. You can take this line from spawn station by holding string.
Here is a list of all LT Line stations accessible from Spawn in order of their branch appearance:
|Grand Freedonia Railway Station (Spawn)||/st Spawn||0||-190; 358|
|Batugus Labs Tube 2||/st BatugusLabs||1191||251; 116|
|Spur Station||/st Spur||1316||798; 194||Test spur station|
|New Atlanta||/st NewAtlanta||1626||923; 353||There is no stop/launch rails.|
|Gotham City||/st Gotham||3041||923; 1768|
|Xenotopia||/st Xenotopia||1653||1143; 82|
|Sand Island||/st SandIsland||3345||1817; 1148|
|Half-Moon Vale||/st HalfMoonVale||4662||1659; 2085|
|Kurai Cho||/st KuraiCho||5362||2854; 2128|
|Nazca||/st Nazca||3180||1890; -534|
|Fellowship of Cake United||/st FoCU||4739||2711; -1280|
|HellFireForge||/st HellFireForge||4266||1566; -1259|
|Sigma Castle||/st SigmaCastle||4932||1916; -2268||Dead end loop, station wasn't constructed|
|Rtkwe Island||/st RtkweIsland||2643||2068; 171|
|Zelda Map||/st ZeldaMap||3520||2485; 369|
|Emucraft||/st EmucraftCity||5435||3394; 1634|
|Castle City||/st CastleCity||5868||3601; 1887||Change here for railway to NewLands|
|Lavatown||/st Lavatown||3924||3427; 186||Change here for local railways to Isle of Muu, Lothendal Manor and Ravines.|
|Nexus East 1||/st NexusE1||4650||4065; 144|
|Delta City||/st DeltaCity||6967||4264; -1974||Station is broken as a part of city design.|
|Arroyo||/st Arroyo||6986||4539; -1718|
|Jimmyville||/st Jimmyville||6840||5250; -803|
|Statue City||/st StatueCity||6183||5604; 176|
|New Arcton||/st NewArcton||8603||5714; -1974|
|JannerVille||/st Jannerville||7404||6783; 218||Change here for local monorail|
|ex-Borderlands||/st Borderlands||7597||7002; 192|
|Monkokoro||/st Monkokoro||11030||8115; -2182|
|Newcuntington||/st Newcuntington||12152||11586; 163||Connection with Nether Highway System|
|Mycelia||/st Mycelia||12499||9649; 2447|
|Oceanville||/st Oceanville||14119||8782; 3200||Station wasn't constructed, only rail switch was made|
|Aeg Island||/st aegIsland||14323||8578; 3200||Station wasn't constructed, only rail switch was made|
|Novum Culta||/st Novum||18023||7305; 5627|
|Little America||/st LittleAmerica||18494||7396; 6189|
The Occidental Express, originally heading west (until the directions in minecraft were switched around) goes to the south of the map and uses green wool. Holding wheat seeds in your hand will take you away from spawn on this line. The word "Occidental" can mean "West".
- ↔ Underworld - Hold String at DrumCity station
- Dial Republic - /st DialRepublic
- Cobjobopolis - /st CobJob
- Rig City Branch - /st RigCity
- BoxAlpha - /st boxAlpha
- Glenfiddich - /st GlenFiddich
- ↔ Nexus East Branch - Hold String at Glenfiddich station
- Ravenstown - /st Ravenstown
- Autumnwood - /st Autumnwood
- UnderWater - (rail link in progress)
- Forestberg - /st Forestberg
- ↔ Cacti Express - Hold Cactus at Forestberg station
- ↔ Reed Express - Hold Sugar Canes at Forestberg station
- ↔ Forttree Line - Hold Stick at Forestberg station
- ↔ Central Line - Hold Cobblestone at Forestberg station
- Skyline - /st Skyline
- Xandronia - /st XanderStrike
- Tesla Town - /st TeslaTown
- Jordan Station - (rail link in progress)
- Nexus South Hub 1 - /st nexuss1
- Westwood - /st westwood
- MushieVille - /st MushieVille
- ↔ Station to Gardopolis
- Golden Junction - /st goldenjunction (Change here for the Acacia Roads Branch)
- Krytopia - /st Krytopia
- Anna's Forest - /st AnnasForest
- Frostagon - /st Frostagon
- Little Train Station - /st LittleTrain
- Explorer's Island - /st expisland
- Gran Syre - (rail link in progress)
- Bowby's Island - (rail link in progress)
- Golden Junction - /st goldenjunction
- Mini Avalon - /st miniavalon
- New Dublin - /st newdublin
- Freedonia Witch Farm - /st witchfarm
- Acacia Roads - /st acaciaroads
- Will be expanded
- Acacia Glade Branch: Acacia Roads ↔ New Louisville
- Al Sanara - /st alsanara
- Acacia Roads - /st acaciaroads (to be checked)
- Silver Bullet - /st deserttown (to be checked/changed)
- Sunrise Hotel - /st sunrise (new side branch, rails are WIP)
- Acacia Glade - /st acaciaglade
- Acacia Rails South - /st acaciasouth
- Fourth Bay - /st fourthbay
- Verua - /st verua currently not available from spawn
- New Louisville - /st newlouisville currently not available from spawn
- Green Acres Branch (under construction) Skyline ↔ Nexus South-East Hub 2 ↔ Little America ↔ Green Acres ↔ Mystria
- Cacti Express: Forestberg ↔ NewLands
- Fortree line: Forestberg ↔ Fortree
- Nexus East Branch: Glenfiddich ↔ Glitch80's Home - /st Glitch80 ↔ WaterShire (no rail link) ↔ Nexus East
- Reed Express: Forestberg ↔ Skyline - /st Skyline ↔ MonopleVille
- Rig City Branch (Purple): WaterShire (no rail link) → RigCity
- Yellow Railway: NewLands ↔ Simmuel's Mart - /st Mart ↔ Sheep Farm - /st Farm ↔ Training Area - /st Zombie ↔ Kurai Cho
- Castle City: NewLands ↔ Castle City ↔ Emucraft ↔ Lava Town Line
- Zephyr Rail: Skyline ↔ Three Biomes Divide
- Red Line: Acacia Roads ↔ Acacia Glade
- Cyan Line: Acacia Glade ↔ Explorer's_League
- Dragon River Line (Under Construction) Dragon River Peak City- Downtown District /st DowntownDRPC ↔ Annabelle Business District /st AnnabelleBus ↔ Airport Plaza District /st PlazaDRPC ↔ Fort Boone /st FtBoone
The Oriental line uses blue wool and goes north. Holding a feather in your hand will take you on this line from spawn station.
- ↔ Batugus Labs - /st BatugusLabs
- Plummet Station - /st Plummet
- Eire Mall - /st Eiremall
- Nexus North 3 - (rail link in progress)
- EastAustania - /st EastAustania
- ↔ Station to Assassin's Fort
- Wiexbaux - /st Wiexbaux
- Phoenix Isles - /st PhoenixIsles (rail link in progress)
- Statue Park - /st StatuePark (rail link in progress)
- Twin Lakes - /st TwinLakes
- Oriental Gateway Railway Station
- PandaVille - /st PandaVille
- Emrys Station - (rail link in progress)
- San Freedonia - (rail link in progress)
- Gabilzaharan - (rail link in progress)
- Waterboy0048 Mining Co. - (rail link in progress)
- NewHaven - (rail link in progress)
- East from Emrys Station: Mocking Station ↔ Ledger Point Station ↔ Anna Station ↔ Horizon Peaks Train Stop
- West from Emrys Station: Snaky Station ↔ Airstation ↔ Sky Lab ↔ Extreme Hills Station ↔ Midway Junction ↔ Hustation ↔ Port Dome Station
Skyroads of the Freedonia Railway System
A large amount of the FRS has walkable paths above the railway. These are known as sky roads and are able to be added onto by the public for signage and path connections, so long as the original structure is left intact. (i.e. adding on is allowed, but not removal of existing blocks)
Great Northern Highway
- Project Glacier
- The Crane House
- Klav403's Home
- road to Batugus
- MissLyra's Home
- Carechucha's Base
- Road to Nexus Pink 3, Bloo Noodle Highway, and MountJackal
- road to Oriental Gateway Railway Station and The Borderlands (Old Border/Pre-New Haven)
- Emrys Station and Titantown
- adahmar3's Sky Islands
- Henry's Highway Cafe
- New Haven
- North of Nowhere Skyroad
- Under Construction past North of Nowhere Skyroad
North of Nowhere Skyroad
- Great Northern Highway
- North Of Nowhere
- This route comprises of several roads in the west of the map, however it is so named because of the railway that it follows: the Great Northern Line.
- It runs from Spawn to the western border of the map, via the major cities of Underworld and ForbiddenOutpost. It has connections to the Central Nexus, AmpCity, and Obernai, as well as a direct connection to several arterial routes including the Great Northwestern Highway and Nexus Loops Inner and Outer.
Great Northwestern Highway
- Great Route West
- SaturatedSquid2's Home
- lift down to Obernai
- road back up to Skyroad
- Colllumns and Route 69
Great Eastern Highway
- Riot's House
- RodrigoTedesco91's Steampunk House
- road to NewAtlanta
- road to Lost Pyramid of Machu Picchu
- rtkwe's semi-private land
- road down to Lavatown
- Teleport pad to Lavatown Nexus Hub
- Lift down to Nexus Orange 1 and Bloo Noodle Highway and Route 101 Eastern Road
- road to Delta City and Arroyo
- road to Gardmuur
Great Southern Highway
- Dial Republic
- Cobjobopolis Road to Cobjobopolis
- Rig City Road to RigCity
- road to Xandronia
- Martingrad and New Road Skyroad links Great Southern Highway with Golums Highway and Green Acres Skyroad
- road to Westwood
- Golden Junction junction with Takadokia Skyroad
- AdoreKitten's Home
- cice_pro's Food Store
- Little Train Station
- Road to Hobbit Farm
- JIMBLO's Hut
- New Louisville Skyroad
New Louisville Skyroad
Point to Point Skyroad connecting FRS South Hub with Great Southern Highway
Acacia Glade Skyroad
- Pallet Town
- Acacia Glade Station
- Acacia Rails South
- Skyroad under construction
- New Louisville Border Control
- Verua Highway, road to Verua
- lift to New Louisville
- New Louisville
- New Louisville Skyroad
- Ellandria Station and HyperRoute 15
- road link to Acacia Roads
- Pallet Town Road
- road link to New Dublin
- Golden Junction with Great Southern Highway
- CliffCity and Golums Highway
- Crown Landing Skyroad to Crown's Landing
- Junction for Rose Outpost Skyroad
Martingrad and New Wood Skyroad
- Point to Point Skyroad between Great Southern Highway and Green Acres Skyroad or Golums Highway
- See Golums Highway
Green Acres Skyroad
- Martingrad and New Wood Skyroad and Golums Highway
- Abandon Skyroad to Abandon
- Baker's Edge Skyroad to Baker's Edge
- Ares Highway
Rose Outpost Skyroad
- Crowns Landing Skyroad to Crown's Landing
- Under Construction-Awaiting future connections
This London Underground style route map is not geographically accurate, but demonstrates the relationship of the lines, stations and stops. This can be printed for easy navigation.
The updated version of the above route map, by LewisD95.
A map of the most northern railway lines of Freedonia made by Anna_28.
Bookmarklet Live Map overlay
There also is an overlay for the live map, not yet complete but mostly up to date. See FRS/gmap/code for the bookmarklet code and details.
Using the rails is a four stage process:
Depending on where you wish to go, you must select the appropriate line and station/branch/stop. If your destination is the terminal station of a line, you can move to the next step. If you wish to use a spur, branch or stop, you simply type /st name, where name is the name of the desired station, branch or stop. You may type this command at any time, and it will persist until you disconnect or repeat the command.
Standard ticket pice is five cobble blocks. In exchange, you will receive a common item, such as a string or feather. Tickets must be held in your hand to properly guide you along your route. Tickets help the rail system determine the correct direction of your travel. The /st command decides where you will stop, but your ticket tells the rails how to get you there. Tickets are required for return service on the main lines, and you will go different directions depending on which ticket you hold. Some stations, like Spawn Station, have a ticket associated with them, in this case, paper. Paper will always take you back to spawn.
How you board your cart will depend on where you are entering the system. In remote areas, it may be as primitive as placing a cart on the rails, nudging it, and hopping in before it rolls away. All stations will have Launcher Blocks, lime green wool blocks along the line. Placing a cart in these blocks will cause it to remain stationary until entered, when it will start automatically. Hub and major Spur Stations have cart dispensers that allow you to press a button to summon a cart to a launcher block. It is wise to hold your ticket in hand during all stages of boarding.
How you exit will depend on where you exit. If your destination is major station, you will be automatically ejected from your cart, which will be collected into a system chest. Smaller stations may merely stop your cart, requiring you to exit and destroy your cart manually. Branches and Stops may simply end. In places where a cart return is not provided, please return your cart to the nearest station at your convenience.
A brief overview of the genesis of the Freedonia Railway System.
Along Came a Muu
Shortly after learning about Craftbook rail blocks, shypixel found himself itching to build some rail lines. Unfortunately his home, Lava Town, was deep in the unsettled wilds at the time. Then AgentMuu showed up in the region and began to mark off what was to become the Isle of Muu, and Shy approached him with a plan. They would build a railway linking their two territories, deep beneath the ocean floor. After many hours of laborious mod-sticking, Shypixel emerged beneath the ice on Muu Island, placing rail as he went. This first line was primitive, with gold ore boosters and simple cart chests. You even had to nudge the cart to get it moving before boarding. But it was long, and it was proof that rail travel was viable over long distances.
During the time that the intial rail tunnel was under construction, Lavatown got a new neighbor in the Caverns region, a little known architect named Lothendal. Shypixel didn't know it at the time, but Lothendal was a master builder with an eye for detail and a penchant for perfection. It wasn't long before Lothendal happened upon the rail tunnel, and his curiosity was sparked. Working furiously, Lothendal quickly built a spur line to his Manor, followed by another to the sleepy coastal settlement of Port Dhal. Having multiple destinations required a more sophisticated system than Shy's simple dispenser, and Lothendal was more than up to the challenge. Lavatown station soon boasted auto-launching cart dispensers and ticket based track sorting, allowing visitors to shuttle between Shypixel's, AgentMuu's and Lothendal's new stations with ease and speed.
A Far Away Land
And so things sat for some time, Shypixel, Lothendal, and AgentMuu content with their stations. With the nearby Caverns warp, players could easily be directed into the rails, and get to where they needed to go. But unbeknownst to them, the three had another neighbor, far to the north, one who was not content with the long walks needed to visit his Island. rtkwe decided that a spur line out of the Lavatown station was what he wanted, and he approached Shypixel with his plan. The two worked from opposite directions, Shy building ground rail from Lavatown, and Rtkwe building a raised rails along the skyroad from his island. A few days later, they met near the Lavatown coast, and the new line was complete. Dwarfing the length of those that came before it, the Island Spur with its raised rails would become the model for future lines. The atrractive new sky-rails generated a lot of interest with their stunning vistas and lack of obstacles. Many players expressed doubt that such a system would work on a large scale, that it would be susceptible to grief and decay, and even that it could be built without item spawning.
The Lavatown Line
Blinded by pride in the naescent rail system, Shypixel insisted that not only that it could work, but that it would. After retiring to his hidden vault, Shypixel fired up his furnaces and began crafting the mountains of materials that would be needed for such a large scale project. A few days later a conversation was sparked in chat about the rail system, and how close it had come to thw Twin Towers. After Shypixel expressed a plan to extend the lines as far as New Atlanta, ChivalrousWeasel pointed out how close that was to spawn. Shypixel took it as a challenge, and vowed that Friday afternoon that come Monday, there would be unbroken rail service from spawn to the Isle of Muu.
Again, Shypixel retreated to his vault, this time to gather his supplies. Driven by madness, he began to build. Following the sky-road, he labored away with half-blocks and rails for countless hours. The hours melted in to days as he worked up to the point of delerium. Assisted in his mad frenzy by AJStratton and Blobehh, he drove the rails towards spawn, block by painstaking block. Finally, late on Sunday night, the rails turned the corner and came to rest at their temporary station behind Flippeh. Wiping a tear from his large googly eyes, Shypixel boarded a minecart and took the inaugural trip on the Lavatown Line. Covering eight kilometers in around ten mintues, Shypixel rolled into Muu's Station just before midnight, having made good on his bragadoccio.
The jubilation of having completed the line could not mask the fact that it suffered from some serious defects under heavy usage. The one-lane design resulted in numerous collisions and bounce-backs. Darker areas were haunted by zombies and skeletons. Discarded items, hourly gifts, and abandoned minecarts clogged the lines. Perhaps most of all, the temporary spawn station was hard to find and primitive. Shypixel's flurry of activity had attracted the attention of God Donor and Admin Krenath. Inspired by the successes of the Lavatown Line, Krenath decided to rectify its deficiencies. First, he found an abandoned structure at spawn, and handed the deed to Shypixel. Next, he used his godly powers to will into being a new style of rail, the double line slung under a skyroad with lightstone. Working as only he can, he followed the original line, building the now familiar skyrails in its place. As he toiled, Shypixel went Bob Vila on the old house at spawn. That evening, the symbolic Golden Spike was driven, completing the Existing Lavatown Line and commemorating the Grand Opening of the Grand Freedonia Railway Station.
View from Spawn Station.
Broncoskip's Tower at night.
Riding by the Satellite.
One of the many sights that make long train rides more pleasant. Seen on the orange rail near Lava Town